Pornography is a visual representation of sexuality which distorts an individual’s concept of the nature of conjugal relations. This, in turn, alters both sexual attitudes and behavior. It is a major threat to marriage, to family, to children and to individual happiness. In undermining marriage it is one of the factors in undermining social stability.
KEY FINDINGS ON THE EFFECTS OF PORNOGRAPHY THE FAMILY AND PORNOGRAPHY
their conjugal relations and less emotionally attached to their wives.
Wives notice and are upset by the difference.
• Pornography use is a pathway to infidelity and divorce, and is frequently
a major factor in these family disasters.
• Among couples affected by one spouse’s addiction, two-thirds experience
a loss of interest in sexual intercourse.
• Both spouses perceive pornography viewing as tantamount to infidelity.
• Pornography viewing leads to a loss of interest in good family relations.
• Pornography is addictive, and neuroscientists are beginning to map the
biological substrate of this addiction.
• Users tend to become desensitized to the type of pornorgraphy they use,
become bored with it, and then seek more perverse forms of pornography.
• Men who view pornography regularly have a higher tolerance for
abnormal sexuality, including rape, sexual aggression, and sexual
• Prolonged consumption of pornography by men produces stronger
notions of women as commodities or as “sex objects.”
• Pornography engenders greater sexual permissiveness, which in turn
leads to a greater risk of out-of-wedlock births and STDs. These, in turn,
lead to still more weaknesses and debilities.
• Child-sex offenders are more likely to view pornography regularly or to
be involved in its distribution.
• Many adolescents who view pornography initially feel shame, diminished
self-confidence, and sexual uncertainty, but these feelings quickly shift to
unadulterated enjoyment with regular viewing.
• The presence of sexually oriented businesses significantly harms the
surrounding community, leading to increases in crime and decreases in
• The main defenses against pornography are close family life, a good
marriage and good relations between parents and children, coupled with
deliberate parental monitoring of Internet use. Traditionally, government
has kept a tight lid on sexual traffic and businesses, but in matters of
pornography that has waned almost completely, except where child
pornography is concerned. Given the massive, deleterious individual,
marital, family, and social effects of pornography, it is time for citizens,
communities, and government to reconsider their laissez-faire approach.